Creating Comfort, Creating Warmth
There is just something delightfully inviting and secure about a warm, well-lit, cozy room in the dead of winter, when it’s dark at 4:00 PM. When there’s inclement weather and you come home from work and just want to curl up with a mug of tea or a glass of wine, it’s the warm, well-lit spots that will welcome you. Or, when you have guests and want them to feel comfortable and at ease, the restful retreats will provide that sense of hominess. Even in the spring and summer months, a sense of coziness and security are essential to our well-being, so transform your nooks based on the season!
What’s better than chatting with family and friends by the fireplace or in a comfy window nook?
Whether you’re creating everyday cozy spaces for yourself or your family, or want to “up” the cozy factor for guests, there are plenty of ways to gently make your home even more welcoming.
Regroup with Furniture
- Create inviting seating areas with comfortable yet attractive furniture. For example, a chaise-lounge is an ideal way to relax by the fire or near a window with a book and a blanket.
- Look for durable yet cozy pieces when choosing furniture--what will hold up to regular use, but also suit your style? There are plenty of options, ranging from upholstered chairs to warm, buttery leather sofas.
- Mix up colors and patterns and don’t be too matchy-matchy with your furniture. You want it to seem warm and inviting, but not resemble a cookie-cutter furniture store.
- Even when you are working from home, you can create cozy work nooks with attractive desks and comfortable, ergonomic chairs to keep you comfortable and focused.
- Strategically place ottomans and footstools to maximize comfort for family and guests.
Create Touchable Comfort
- Create coziness with textiles and fabrics. Fluffy blankets are a must for curling up with a book or enjoying a chat with family and friends. Drape them elegantly over a chair or leave them folded along the top of a sofa.
- Add colorful pillows for a touch of style and comfort. Whether mainly for decoration or for taking a quick cat nap, pillows add to the sense of coziness.
- Window coverings add style and elegance to a room, but can also literally help keep out drafts in chilly weather.
- Rely on rugs--adding a lovely area or throw rug to a cozy corner can really create warmth, not only visually, but for bare feet!
Focus on Lighting
- Choose standing lamps that can easily be moved around as needed, particularly for nooks where you will be reading or watching television.
- Avoid harsh, fluorescent light bulbs that can feel jarring and strain the eyes.
- Create a mood with lights that can be controlled with dimmer switches.
- Choose tabletop lamps that create a “moment” and add ambience and elegance to any situation. Whether vintage or modern, a tabletop lamp adds warmth and beauty.
- Dip into that candle collection! Candles create a soothing, welcoming glow--use them in any space to add a relaxing vibe.
While winter seems like an obvious time to establish cozy spaces in your home, you can switch them up to suit every season. When spring and summer arrive, change the lighting, put up airy curtains, and add lightweight blankets and vibrant rugs. After all, soothing spaces are good for the soul all year ‘round, and Elite Builders’ luxurious, beautiful homes lend themselves perfectly to creating comfy nooks!